Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Harrison's GI appointment update

we had Harrison's GI appointment on the 9th and all I can say is YUCK!

first, his anus is more anterior which means everything inside is more posterior which makes him have to push just a bit harder to get things out.

then we talked for bit. I really liked her.
Then she had to stick her finger inside of him-she could barely get it in there it was so tight.
He has anal stenosis.

She said at his age he should be at about 15mm...he is barely at 10. She said from the problems we had getting the suppository in, he had probably been at an 8 before and we had stretched him.
She used the dilator on him today and got him to a 13. I have to do this with him for 1 week, 3 times a day. Then the next appt she will stretch to the 15. Hopefully he will be able to start going on his own then, but she said that there could be some problems in the nerves in there that could require more effort..like using a mild laxative until his body starts to function right.

She said also that it was really good that we had brought him in because this was not something that would magically have fixed itself..
she is also hopeful that once this gets fixed that his reflux might get better. she could tell he had it before I even told her just by his breathing.

It was REALLY hard for me to have to do that to him today. She had me do it to show me how and

but I am very glad that I kept pressing it with his pediatrician and insisting that this was not the normal newborn immature sphincter issue.

No comments: