Thursday, July 24, 2008

PCOS-do you know what it is?

After a discussion with a good friend of mine today, I realized I have not actually talked about PCOS with anyone lately, and definitely not here on my blog.

So what is PCOS?
PCOS-Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Oh..so it is just an ovary thing?
N0- it is sometimes said to actually be misnamed as many women do NOT have any problems with their ovaries.

But I am not fat. I can't have PCOS
yes, you can. Not all women with PCOS are overweight. Not every woman's symptoms are the same. There are quite a few skinny women diagnosed with the disorder.

But I have children. PCOS women cannot have babies.

Not true. Infertility is certainly a symptom of PCOS, but many women can and do have children with PCOS

My doctor said I don't have it. He must know what he is talking about.
Sadly, many doctors are not educated on PCOS and fail to see the bigger picture of linking all the problems together.

Common signs of PCOS. You do not have to have ALL of these symptoms to be diagnosed!
*Irregular or absent menses
*Numerous cysts on the ovaries in many, but not all, cases
*High blood pressure
*Acne
*Elevated insulin levels, Insulin Resistance, or Diabetes
*Infertility
*Excess hair on the face and body
*Thinning of the scalp hair (alopecia)
*Weight Problems or obesity that is centered around your mid section

Sound familiar at all? I didn't even know what PCOS was until the week before I was diagnosed. that has been 8 years ago now. The doctors I had seen for 4 years before that never suspected nor tested me for it.

Take the quiz to check your symptoms!

No comments: